When people think of gaming on laptops, Apple isn’t the first name that comes to mind. It is not even the second or the third. Apple’s name is last on the list of gaming laptops. However, this is about to change with the release of macOS Ventura in Fall 2022.
Ventura or macOS 13 is the latest operating system from Apple, and it is debuting alongside a new 13-inch MacBook Pro and MacBook Air 2022. Both laptops will run on the Apple M2 Chip. While the news of the latest macOS and products might steal the headlines, the introduction of Metal 3 is particularly noteworthy for gamers. Metal 3 is Apple’s latest application programming interface for game developers. When this API is combined with the new silicon, PC-level AAA gaming is possible on Mac systems. Metal 3 is great news for serious gamers because it offers upscaling tools to render immersive graphics without taking a considerable hit on performance.
Thanks to MetalFX Upscaling, developers can render complex scenes without hassle using less computer-intensive frames. Developers can also apply temporal anti-aliasing and resolution scaling quickly. The outcome is enhanced performance that offers gaming enthusiasts a more responsive graphics and intuitive gaming experience.
If you are excited and cannot wait till fall to check out how macOS Ventura can take your gaming experience to the next level with Metal 3, you can download and install the public beta version. The public beta version was released in July for Mac users. However, before installing the update, you must ensure your system has enough space. You would not want to be hit with the error message, not enough space to install Ventura when you have already downloaded the file.
The macOS Ventura installer weighs around 12GB, and the rule of thumb is to have at least twice that amount of space. So, 24GB of free space must be available for the installation process to proceed smoothly. Here’s how you can check storage space on your Mac system and make free space.
- Check storage space on Mac by clicking on the Apple Menu > selecting About This Mac > opening the Storage Tab.
- You can free up space on your Mac for installing Ventura by deleting all the clutter, such as large downloads, photos, temporary files, apps you don’t use anymore, mail attachments, duplicate files, etc. You must also remember to delete the Trash because the remaining files can take up a lot of space.
So, now you know how to free up space to install the public beta version of Ventura and get the feel of this new macOS before its official release. Besides Metal 3, other interesting updates and advances to gaming are coming to macOS, which are explained below.
- Buddy controllers – The use of buddy controllers, is being launched as an accessibility feature. Thanks to this, macOS Ventura enables gamers to use two controllers as a single controller. This update is expected to make multiplayer gaming much more fun and exciting. You can play games with your friends or family using two controllers that will be in tandem with each other. Mac will also support Logitech G920 and Logitech G29 steering wheels to take your gaming experience to the next level.
- SharePlay becomes better across Apple’s platforms – You can quickly hop on a FaceTime call while playing your favorite game. If you do not wish to use FaceTime, you can be in a Messages chain.
- Updated Game Center – The updated Game Center on macOS will act as the social backbone connecting players with online opponents and friends. You can look at your activity feed in real time. You will be able to see all the achievements you have unlocked playing your favorite games or what others are playing. You can also look at the leaderboard to find out where you stand. The accomplishments of other players are also shown here so you can figure out what more you need to do.
- New games are coming to Mac – With the macOS Ventura update and the release of Metal 3, game developers are confidently releasing and bringing new games to the Mac platform. The most noteworthy ones are No Man’s Sky, GTA Series, Resident Evil Village, EA GRID Legends, Sonic Generations, Elden Ring, Dragon Ball FighterZ, etc. Depending on the success of Resident Evil Village, the developers are all set to bring Resident Evil 2, 3, and 4 to the platform as well. So, Mac users who are gaming enthusiasts can look forward to playing AAA titles and having a great time.
In addition to gaming getting better with macOS Ventura, Mac users can expect significant changes to Mail, updates to Spotlight, and a new feature called Stage Feature. Other goodies include Passkeys, Continuity Camera, sharing Safari group tabs with friends, Messages updates, etc.
So, install the public beta version and check out all the goodies Ventura has to offer.